You may not think that your teeth have a major impact on your immune system. But they do! Every part of your body is connected to each other part, and that includes your mouth. If you maintain great oral health and hygiene, you’ll be able to keep your immune system strong, and even resist viruses like COVID-19, the flu, and more. Read on to get all the details from the office of Dr. Brett Blacher.
How Do Healthy Teeth Help Me Resist COVID-19? What You Need To Know
Like any other system in your body, your immune system is limited in what it can do. There are only so many white blood cells, antibodies, and other immune cells that it can create to respond to a threat at once.
So that means that if your body is busy fighting off multiple infections from viruses and bacteria, it won’t be able to respond as efficiently to new threats. If you have gum disease, for example, your immune system will be busy sending immune cells to your mouth to fight off the bacteria that are infecting your gums.
In this way, your body’s ability to prevent and fight back against other viral threats, including COVID-19, may be impaired, leading to you getting sick. But if your mouth is healthy and your body is free of any infections, your entire immune system will be stronger and more prepared to take on a potential threat.
How Do I Keep My Teeth & Gums Healthy During COVID-19? Our Top Tips
Obviously, your oral health is very important during this time, but how can you keep your smile healthy? Here are a few tips from the team at the office of Dr. Brett Blacher
- Brush at least twice a day – Brush twice a day for two minutes using fluoride toothpaste, and brush your teeth one quadrant at a time, making sure to clean the back, tops, and front of each individual tooth.
- Floss daily – Flossing is particularly important for gum health, since it removes food and debris that you can’t access with brushing alone. Make sure you floss once per day.
- Add mouthwash to your routine – Rinsing with an antibacterial mouthwash helps keep your breath fresh and your mouth healthy. You can do this at any time, but it’s particularly effective after you floss, since rinsing can help remove debris knocked loose by flossing.
- Keep an eye on your diet – Avoid sugary foods and drinks, and maintain a healthy diet full of lean meats, healthy dairy like yogurt, whole grains, and fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Get a checkup – At the office of Dr. Brett Blacher, we’re open and providing preventive dentistry appointments to patients in Lombard, and we’re using the latest best practices and equipment to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and keep you safe. Routine teeth cleanings and oral exams are essential for your oral health!
Contact Our Office For Your Next Checkup Today
We can provide you with the safe, effective dental care you need in Lombard during the COVID-19 outbreak. To get started, contact Dr. Brett Blacher for an appointment online, or give our team a call at (630) 916-0701. We’re always accepting new patients in Lombard.