About Dental Emergencies
Accidents Happen and We Can Help
Dental emergencies occur when we least expect them, but when jaw pain or a dental injury occurs it’s important to find quick pain relief and comfortable restorative treatments. If you have encountered a broken, fractured or knocked-out tooth, our staff is available to find the best treatment method for your needs. Whether you require a new dental crown after root canal therapy or require prompt treatment to place a lost tooth, we use the best materials and methods to ensure your care and comfort. If you are in dental pain, give us a call at 630-916-0701 to come in for professional care in Lombard for your dental emergency!
If you’re having a dental emergency these are the steps you need to follow:
For a knocked-out tooth or more than one knocked-out teeth, attempt to clean your mouth and the affected tooth with warm water, holding the tooth by its dental crown. If it is not possible to place the tooth back into the mouth, keep it moist in cold milk or saliva and visit to the emergency dentist for a same day appointment. If you have a cracked or broken tooth, gently rinse the mouth with warm water and call us right away. For toothaches or chronic tooth pain, rinse with warm water and carefully floss to remove any remaining food particles. Place a cold ice pack to your cheek to reduce swelling.
Preventive Steps During a Dental Emergency
If a dental emergency has resulted in a damaged tooth or toothache, keep your mouth clean and away from acidic drinks or foods to prevent further damage. If a tooth has fallen out, do not touch the exposed root of the tooth or remove any remaining gum tissue. In any situation of a dental emergency or dental pain, give us a call at 630-916-0701 to schedule treatment. It could save your tooth!
The Best Lombard Dentist
Our team at Brett Blacher DDS in Lombard strives to offer the best in modern dentistry with a compassionate touch. When you come in for a toothache or other dental-related issue, we work diligently to quickly eliminate any pain and restore your dental health using conservative restorative treatments. Our patients receive the necessary care they need with a staff that values their health and comfort.
What’s Considered To Be A Dental Emergency?
Pretty much any dental issue that is causing pain, discomfort, and/or bleeding can be considered an emergency. Because of this, the category of “dental emergency” is broader than you may think. A few common examples include:
- Decayed or infected teeth – If you have a very large cavity, the tooth may become infected, causing a toothache. Toothaches are one of the most common dental emergencies, and demand immediate treatment. Without proper care, toothaches will only get worse. Infected teeth will eventually die, and may fall out of your mouth. You need to see an emergency dentist in Lombard for treatment, such as a root canal or tooth extraction.
- Dental trauma – Dental trauma is very common, and can be caused by accidents, playing contact sports like football, or by hobbies like skateboarding or mountain biking. That’s why we always recommend wearing a mouthguard while playing contact sports. Trauma could include a chipped or broken tooth, a loose tooth, a knocked-out tooth, damage to the gums, and more. Getting care for dental trauma helps protect your mouth and preserves your teeth and gums.
- Damaged dental work – If you pull out or lose a filling or crown, this is a dental emergency. The underlying tooth will be very weak and vulnerable to further infections, so you need to see Dr. Brett Blacher right away to have your tooth restored.
There are other dental emergencies that don’t fit neatly into these categories, such as a piece of food or an object that’s stuck between your teeth and can’t be removed on your own. If you’re not sure whether your problem qualifies, just give the office of Dr. Brett Blacher a call. You can contact us at (630) 916-0701. Our Lombard team is always here to help.
What Should I Do In A Dental Emergency?
Every emergency is different, but there are a few steps we recommend you follow to protect your mouth and relieve pain.
- Recover your tooth, dental work, or fragments, if applicable – If you’ve lost a tooth, grab it by the top (crown) and avoid touching the bottom (root). Put it in a baggie of cold milk. You can do the same with tooth fragments. If you’ve lost a piece of dental work, recover it and put it in a plastic container or bag.
- Contact us for a same-day appointment – Call our office at (630) 916-0701 to discuss your situation and get a same-day appointment. Dr. Blacher offers flexible same-day scheduling for patients in Lombard.
- Relieve pain and discomfort – You can take over-the-counter medicine like ibuprofen to help with pain. Icing the affected area may also help with pain. If you’re bleeding, use clean gauze, a paper towel, or a cotton ball to absorb blood.
- Come to the office of Dr. Brett Blacher right away – Come to your appointment as scheduled. You can’t fix dental emergencies on your own, so don’t delay. Once you arrive at our office, Dr. Blacher will perform an emergency exam, diagnose your issue, and help you understand the best options for treatment.
“We provide the most conservative treatments possible to fix your dental problem and provide the best long term solution for your dental health and smile.”
At Brett Blacher DDS, dentistry isn’t just about repairing teeth--it’s about improving the long term health of every patient through care that is personal to each client. We talk to each patient as a person first, understanding their specific needs and helping them achieve a level of health they never thought was possible before, so they can enjoy their smiles for years to come with a dentist they can trust.