Looking to understand the differences between veneers and other common dental treatments? The team at the office of Dr. Brett Blacher is very knowledgeable about the pros and cons of veneers compared to other common alternatives. To find out which cosmetic treatment may be right for you, schedule your consultation today!
Veneers are a cosmetic treatment, consisting of thin, tooth-shaped dental prostheses that fit over your teeth and restore the front chewing surfaces of your teeth.
- Veneers are very versatile and can treat almost any cosmetic issue
- Veneers take only two short appointments over 2-3 weeks to place
- The veneer process is minimally-invasive
- Veneers can’t be used to restore damaged teeth
- Treatment with veneers is not reversible since a small amount of enamel must be removed from your teeth
- Veneers are not covered by dental insurance
Dental crowns are a restorative treatment. Essentially, a crown is a false tooth that fits over your remaining tooth structure to restore a damaged, decayed or broken tooth.
- Extremely durable and long-lasting
- Can be used to restore damaged teeth
- Looks and feels completely natural
- Requires the removal of a large amount of enamel from your teeth
- Higher risk of tooth sensitivity due to the more invasive preparation procedure
- Can be more expensive per-tooth compared to veneers
Lumineers are very similar to veneers. The main difference is the thickness of the prosthesis. While traditional veneers are about 0.5mm thick, Lumineers are only about 0.2mm thick.
- Lumineers are so thin that they can usually be placed without preparation, so the procedure is reversible
- Lumineers provide the same cosmetic results as veneers
- You can get treatment faster, without any shots or anesthetic in most cases
- Lumineers may not be suitable for everyone
- Some tooth preparation may still be required for some patients
- More fragile than traditional veneers
- limited color choice compared to veneers
Dental bonding consists of dental resin that is applied directly to your tooth. This resin is shaped, hardened, and trimmed by Dr. Brett Blacher to reshape your tooth and improve the appearance of your smile.
- Dental bonding takes only a single appointment, and requires about 30-60 minutes per tooth, so most patients can restore their smile in just a single appointment.
- The bonding process is completely non-invasive, requiring no numbing, anesthetic or sedation
- Unlike veneers, no enamel must be removed, making bonding reversible
- Dental bonding uses resin, which is more fragile compared to the porcelain used in veneers
- Bonding typically lasts between 5-10 years, which is less compared to veneers (10-15+ with proper care)
- The resin used for bonding is not as stain-resistant as porcelain, which can lead to stain buildup over time
Still Not Sure What’s Right for You? Get in Touch with Our Office Today!
We know there are a lot of options for cosmetic dentistry in Lombard. So if you’re still confused or not sure which treatment may be right for you, don’t wait. Contact our team now to schedule a cosmetic consultation with Dr. Brett Blacher. You can give us a call at (630) 916-0701, or stop by our office at 450 E 22nd St, #201, Lombard, IL 60148.